Interview with Josh Simpson

Klingenstädter

Our user "Lena" has made an interview in english with the canadian international Josh Simpson.

She posted it here: http://www.roteteufel.de/showthread.php?t=10682http://www.roteteufel.de/showthread.php?t=10682

and on her "Josh Simpson Fanpage" http://www.josh-simpson.de.vu/http://www.josh-simpson.de.vu/

How do you like Germany and K-Town so far?

How I like...I like it very much. It’s a lot like home.

Like Canada?

Like Canada, yeah...It’s very similar...Uhm...It’s nice...It’s very small. Much smaller than what I’m used to. But, very much like my hometown Victoria, so…it’s been good. Football, football’s good. Our team is very good. I love FCK, so…I’m happy.

So have you ever been to Germany before or is this your first time?

Yeah, you know I came to Germany a few time with the Canadian National Team. Our coach, you probably know Holger Osieck, was the head-coach for Canada, so he brought us over for training-camps and stuff…

What were your main reasons to leave Millwall and come to K-Town?

Well the biggest reason was, that I left England was, that I couldn’t get a work permit, to stay in England. Were as I could get a work permit to come to Germany. My biggest reason to come to Germany was, because I thought it was best suited for me. I suppose to France, Belgium, Scandinavia, Germany was gonna be number one aside from England. England, obviously English speaking people, lots of Canadians…You know, I’ve got a lot of friends in England trough football…But I couldn’t stay, because I didn’t have a work permit.

So is there anything you miss, since you left England or…?

Oh just, just the people. I miss the people and the humour, the humour is good…

It’s dry…

Yeah, yeah,...so that’s what I’d say I miss. But I think Germany is a nicer country. More beautiful, like England’s a little bit…

So that’s what you prefer of Germany than England or…Because it’s nicer?!

I think Germany is a nicer country, yes.

How hard was it for you to leave Canada and come to England or now to Germany and be so far away from your family?

I left home when I was 18…17…17, to go to University in the States. So when I was 17 I moved away. I wasn’t at home in Canada anymore and when I was 17…till I was 21. So I’ve been away from home for a long time. Six years now.

So you’re quite used to…

I’m very used to it. I’m used to travelling, ever since I was 12 I’ve been travelling to Europe, playing football…So, it’s nothing to new…Sorry (he hit a fly which fell right onto me).

Don’t worry…

It’s nothing to new for me.

What are your personal plans for the future with the club?

Right now, I wanna get a good start to the season. It’s the immediate goal. And then obviously promotion this season is a must. I think we got a good squad, a good coach…So the intermediate goal is promotion and then obviously do well in the Bundesliga one next season.

So could you imagine ending up your career in Germany or would you like to move away again?

To be honest, it’s to short at time to know.

Maybe too early, too?

Too early to tell…It’s…I like, I mean, like I said, I like Germany so far. But there is a lot of football all over the world. So I don’t know where I’ll end up. Like I said, a bit early to tell, but so far it’s good.

So how do you like the stadium?

(takes a look around and points at the stands) Well, there’s not much to say. It is beautiful, it’s the nicest stadium I’ve been in.

And what do you think about the enthusiastic FCK-Fans?

Enthusiasm…Fantastic. Everybody’s been very friendly. Really good. There are a lot of fans. Everywhere I go in the city, lots and lots of fans. It’s good.

So, I know, football is not the most famous sport in Canada. How did you get into it?

Just, when I was young, I like kicking a ball. My brothers played hockey, football, wrestling... My dad did football, American Football, my dad did hockey at University and I was the only one to play soccer. Do it was just sort of luck the draw, I love playing, never wanted to stop so I kept playing. And when I was 6 or 7 years old, I wanted to be professional football player. So that’s my dream…

So could you guess, what you be now, if you wouldn’t have become a football player?

(laughs)No!

Just always football player…

(laughs) Yes.

Okay then, the next question is also answered, because it was, what your dream job was, when you were in Elementary School.

(starts laughing)

So it has to be football player…

Yes.

Do you have any second names?

Second names?! Like nicknames?

Yeah, or like…some people are called…in Germany Karl Heinz maybe…

Oh…okay. Not really…I mean, normally just Josh, Simpson, Simps, but not really…

Okay…So what kinds of music do you like?

Oh…that’s a tough question…I like all kinds of music. I have I-Tunes about 6000 songs, so…I have everything from Rock Acoustic, Hip-Hop, R’n’B, Rap, Country Music, Classic Music, 80’s Music,…Everything.

Do you have any other hobbies?

I have a few hobbies, yes…I really love winter sports. But because I play football I can’t really…

It’s too dangerous.

Yeah, like snowboarding, I love doing…But I love holidays. I would probably say music, music’s a pretty big hobby…I like to learning guitar, piano,…

Travelling, I read in a newspaper…

Travelling, yeah…Travelling for holidays. And then my family, I love to be with my family. I have four sisters, three brothers…and so…I love to be with my family.

What’s your favourite food?

My favourite food…Is a big medium rare steak. That’s my favourite.

And your favourite drink?

Favourite drink…Alcoholic or non?

Both.

I would like to say…Like non-alcoholic drink is just water. Alcoholic drink: Jack Daniels and Coke.

Have you tried any typical German food so far?

Schnitzel.

Schnitzel…Why did I know that?

Höhö…(he's really laughing this way)

And have you learned anything German so far?

Ähm…deutsch?

Yeah.

Yes (thinks) Wie geht’s? And…schön…Let’s see…I can count to ten.

Good...

That’s really good. I’m slowly learning. I know more, but I can’t think really.

But you know, if you live in K-Town, you don’t have to learn German, you have to learn “Pälzisch”.

Pälzisch?!

Yeah…

What is it?

It’s like German, but it’s the dialect here in K-Town.

Ah…okay…Pälzisch…I learn a bit of Pälzisch then…

Yeah…So, I’ll give you just a few words and you just say one word or sentence, that comes to your mind, okay?

Okay.

Football.

Love it.

Fans.

Great.

Family.

The best.

K-Town.

Fun.

Canada.

Home.

Friendship.

Important.

Love.

(thinks for a long time)

Don’t think!

(goes on thinking) Good.

I’ve recognized during and after the training-sessions, that you and Aki go on pretty well so far.

Yeah.

So have you made any other friends now, or…

Yeah, yeah, yeah…I met some really good people. All the guys are great. Aki, Ricardo are my best mates. Ricardo is…They’re both as good as they’re gay…You know what I mean, so…They made it very easy to fit in…have fun…Yeah, I think all of the guys are easy to go on with, but those two especially.

So how do you get along with the coaches?

Good…I don’t talk to them too much. Because it’s still difficult, but I’m slowly understanding more when they are talking. And Wolfgang’s very little English. And right now I still have very little German, but its coming. For sure I’ll be speaking soon.

Last question: Do you have any personal aims for the future? Non-football…Just for you personally.

Non-football…Well, I want to have a family…I guess, football’s my number one…

It’s what you think about the most now?!

Yeah, yeah…Most at the time…But I obviously at some point I wanna have a family and I wouldn’t mind doing more learning guitar, I’m not that good yet. And I’ve almost got a finance degree at University and I wanna finish. Those things. But that’s pretty much it I think.

So is there anything you want to tell your fans?

Yeah, I’d like to say thank you to everybody. Thank you for the support. Thank you for making FCK home. Because it’s been great so far, season hasn’t even started yet. So I’m happy.

We’re done…Thank you very, very much for taking time.

Annotation by Klingenstädter: I translated the italics, so if there are any mistakes it's not Lena's fault.

Oben